Friday, March 27, 2009

Lessons from Esther

My ladies' Bible study group is studying the Book of Esther Beth Moore Bible study. (Ach! I used the word "study" three times in one sentence!) This is the ninth or tenth Bible study I have done in the Beth Moore series. I really love the methodology she uses and I particularly love the way God uses each subject to work into my certain set of circumstances.

Right now there are several events surrounding me that are seemingly too big to handle. I can bring forth all that I know about God, all that I know to pray, and yet, the circumstances are still beyond my control. Digging into the book of Esther has shown me some wonderful insights into God and His providence that speak profoundly to me in simple terms that I can understand.

Quoting from Beth, as we get to the end of chapter 3 in Esther: "I don't know exactly how God perfects plans that seem so bleak to us in process, but these two things I know: He never takes His eyes off of us or off the clock ticking over us." To say this caught my attention is an understatement!

A little further on, in examining Haman and his motives for destroying the Jews, Beth explains: "Satan's agenda is to kill and destroy anything dear to God... The beautifully frustrating part of Satan's insatiable bloodlust is that ultimately he cannot have what he wants... When all is said and done, Satan can't win and you can't lose." Friend, once we belong to Christ, our inner self is untouchable.

Looking at situations that happen to me, things not of my own doing, remind me of Proverbs 16:33: "The lot is cast into the lap but its every decision is from the Lord." Beth said something in the video this week that helped put things into perspective for me: "It is often crisis that God uses to pivot us in another direction. We have been left on this earth for a purpose."

And finally, as we came to verse 14 in chapter 4, this very familiar verse suddenly had more meaning: "Yet who knows whether you have come to this kingdom for such a time as this?" That kingdom, for me or for you, is anywhere that God has placed you, whether it be in your home, in your school or workplace, your community. God has ordained my circumstances for a purpose. "Who knows?" God knows! How comforting is that?

My response, then, is to pray - for my circumstance or situation, for my purpose to be revealed, for His will to be accomplished. That's a lot of good stuff coming from the little book of Esther!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Thank you LaRue, for your VERY timely thoughts.
We "BOTH" needed what you said. Thank you!

Like you said, God knows, and we have to trust him! Because He does know our hearts.

What I wouldn't give to be there in S.A. and involved with your Bible Study group.

Love to each of you.

Hey, if I were ever able to join your group, is it a requirement for me to have a little puppy, do you think Treasure and Jefferson would accept another friend? :):)

Have a good weekend, and enjoy your spring weather, it hasn't quite made its way across to DC. brrrrrrrrrrr