Saturday, April 23, 2011

Rag Quilts for My Grand Boys

A few weeks ago I saw a quilting blog that featured a Rag Quilt, something I've never tried before. It looked so cute and an idea started forming in my head for making this kind of quilt for my grandboys. The blog featured a fabric kit called "Charm Pack" and I set out to the fabric store in search of one. Using the charm pack and following the easy directions, this quilt emerged for Andrew.


 Using only the charm pack pieces, I felt the quilt was a little too small if the intended purpose was to use at the park or for picnics. So I found some material that matched one of the squares and put a five inch border all around it. Now it's just perfect for Andrew, even for a nap. 


My friend, Ruth, sent me a tutorial to make a pillowcase (I'll post more about that later), and I jumped on that with a quick trip back to the fabric store and bought some coordinating material to make a pillowcase.


Once I had Andrew's quilt done and had all that experience stored up, I started the process over again with a quilt for Adrian. He is so fond of trains right now and I found this adorable train material that worked well even for blocks sewn side by side. Each block is "quilted" individually, then sewn together in strips that will become rows to be sewn together until your quilt is the size you desire. The seams are all on the "right" side of the material so that once they have been fringed, washing them brings about the "ragged" look.


Look how cute the ragged seams are! I should add that the back of the quilt looks like a "normal" quilt and the "X's" give it a finished look.


I went back to the fabric store and bought extra material to make a matching pillowcase for Adrian. His quilt is a little bit bigger and he'll be able to take it to Kid's Day Out for his naptime quilt. He can even play with his little trains on it, letting his imagination run wild! I guess you might say I let my imagination run wild with these Rag Quilts!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

you really are amazing!!! Adrian is sleeping on his pillow and has his quilt at his feet...
Andrew has his pillow in the crib.
here's hoping to sweet dreams for the moza boys!