Thursday, September 24, 2009

Interrupted by Rain

As badly as we need rain, it really came at an inopportune time. Meredith, Kate, Adrian and I piled into the car on Tuesday morning and started downtown for the Institute of Texan Cultures and the heavens opened up on us! We parked the car, got out for one minute, and got right back in and drove home. Such a disappointment.

Kate redeemed the day, though, with her suggestion that she cook our supper. It would be girls' night, since Graham was going to his Greek class. One trip to the grocery store later and I was sent to my room for a nap. Oh, did I mention that, going from the car to the back door I tripped over a hat rack in the garage and smacked my knee? I cradled my camera to prevent any damage to it, but ended up with several bruises. So I was more than happy to turn my kitchen over to Kate!

On Wednesday, Meredith took Kate with her to her Redeemer Ladies' Bible study. When the ladies gathered for prayer afterward, Meredith introduced Kate as "the sister of Nathaniel, whom y'all prayed for last year." Everyone, including Kate, was so thrilled to put a face to a prayer and actually experience the personal closeness of answered prayer. It was a special moment.

The rain that started on Tuesday? It continued throughout the day Wednesday, offering us an opportunity for long, comfy naps. I'm happy that Kate feels so at home in her Texas dwelling, replete with a private bathroom, washer and dryer, and access to the kitchen! Her cell phone and laptop keep her nano-seconds away from family. She even had a skype conversation with Nathaniel the other evening.

Today I'll take Kate to my Ladies' Bible study where Lois has planned a special "Texas" themed dessert and tomorrow we'll resume our sightseeing tour, maybe back to the Institute of Texan Cultures and the Tower of the Americas. This has been a delightful, though unexpected, ten day interruption for me. Thank You, God, for answered prayer.

No comments: