Thursday, May 28, 2009

Waterford

Today we are resting, resting! This is day eleven or twelve - I've lost count. We are so happy to be away from the coach and on our own. This morning after breakfast we walked a few blocks to the Waterford Treasures Museum. We spent an hour and a half there, taking in a whole lot of history of this area. And it goes waaaaay back, before the Vikings even. It was a good museum with lots of interactive stuff and artifacts and such.

We came back to the hotel for a sandwich and then set out again to explore some of the churches in town. There is a very ornate Catholic church across the street from our hotel, and then many blocks away is Christ Church Cathedral, which is currently Anglican or Episcopal. It dates back many centuries and has changed back and forth between the Catholics and the Anglicans. Its beauty lies in its simplicity. One thing we have seen much of is churches! I hope I can get them all straight and in alignment with their photos!

For supper tonight we're going down the street to Dooley's Hotel to eat some traditional Irish beef stew. Oh, I finally got a picture of a sweet Westie. He was sitting in the doorway of a shop and I chatted with his owner for a bit. His name is Scotty and he is pretty scruffy looking, but has the sweetest face. I'll post his picture when I can. I think that will satisfy my longing for Treasure for the moment.

Tomorrow we leave for Dublin and the end of the tour and beginning of our breakaway. I hope we have enough energy left to see all of Dublin and the surrounding area. Looking forward to coming home on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

miss you. glad you're having fun...my blog is gone again...ugh.

see you wednesday...I think you arrive too late for us to see you tuesday night.

adrian sends his hugs and kisses.
mm