Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Persistence Has Paid Off!

Woohoo! I just got my report on my bloodwork from my annual physical and I'm pretty happy with the results. Forgive me if I gloat just a little. Let me explain.

I have an aversion to taking prescription drugs. Aside from estrogen replacement therapy for a few years, I refuse to fall prey to all the chemicals that purport to keep me healthy while maintaining an unhealthy lifestyle. In particular, the statin drugs that are prescribed to lower cholesterol levels. I'm not convinced of the need, to begin with, or of the safety of the drugs.

So I have had an ongoing tug-of-war with my physician as my cholesterol levels have crept upward: he, wanting me on statins; me, looking for natural means. The internet has been a great place to do personal research. And I have tried two or three different supplements over the years, mostly to no avail.

Last January my doctor called in my numbers and I admit they were getting precariously high - moving upward in the 300 range. He gave me his "Your life is in your own hands now" speech and begged me to get a prescription. I refused, because I had just read a report about Niacin. And Graham has a good friend who sells supplements, including Niacin, and he sent us his report which looked very hopeful. That was the start of my year.

Today, after a year on Niacin, my doctor is congratulating me! Wow! My total cholesterol has dropped 75 points! And triglycerides are down 60 points! I am a NEW woman! As well as a very determined woman. Perhaps my experience will give hope to members of my family, who may be inclined to high cholesterol, that there are alternatives to the chemical remedies of the drug companies. And the best part is that I have had zero side effects from the Niacin therapy.

Woohoo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can thank our ancestors for our
high cholesterol. I've been taking
Lipitor for years now with no side
affects and a much lower cholesterol level.

Bill

avalarue said...

But it CAN BE DONE without drugs - that's my point. The statins had a terrible effect on me.

Barbaranne said...

Where can I get some of this Niacin??? My Cholesterol medication has put ten pounds back on that I had worked to lose before I started the meds. Though my Doctor cut my dose to 1/4, I am not losing it again- merely maintaining... so frustrating! I'm going for a blood test in a couple of weeks, then will campaign for a different treatment regardless of the results. I have omega 3 capsules- fish oil and flaxseed based, have heard that red yeast rice is the answer, and am planning to start running again once it warms up in the Spring.

I'm tired just thinking about it!

Oh- and, Way To Go Auntie!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.. You go Girl! You know your body and how it responds. Niacin??? HMMMMMMMMMM

Anonymous said...

Where can I get some of this Niacin???


Kathy,
(cholesterol is 316!!)


jennyfluffnstuff --Chelsea and Jenny