Friday, September 12, 2008

Treasure and My Birthday

Today is my birthday.
Three weeks ago today I was given the news that Treasure has bladder cancer.
I have to confess that for three days I was reeling with the diagnosis and facing a big "unknown" for her future. In my frantic imagination I feared having to put her down on my birthday, just three weeks from then. Then I would have had a sad and tragic date to remember.


I'm happy to say that on my birthday I still have a happy and healthy-appearing little dog.


Some days her appetite is good. Those are the days she gets her medicine as it must be taken with food. Usually the following day is one in which she won't eat until late afternoon. That is the only sign we have that something might be wrong. Otherwise she is still enjoying life, following me around, watching Adrian as he plays or eats.
Adrian is eating "finger food" now and that usually consists of pieces of chicken or cheese. It didn't take Treasure very long to realize that Adrian often will toss a piece of his food onto the floor. She even knows which side of the high chair to stay on to get the most from his meal!

Most of her time, however, is spent in "our" room where I have my computer and sewing machine. A little pile of fabric scraps makes a nice pillow when sandwiched between the wall and the ironing board!

Other times it just gets too boring so she finds yet another corner in the room to take a snooze.
These are the moments I treasure - just having her near, knowing she is not in pain, taking one day at a time. I'm thankful for a birthday that will not be remembered in sorrow.

1 comment:

A Quietheart for Him said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet lady, Sorry that I didn't get to call you on time...but that is the way my life is running right now... a little beeeehind!!!

So sorry to hear about sweet Treasure, but glad she has you to love and care for her. And so glad that she knows which side of the high chair to stand watch on. Smart doggie!!!

Love and see you soon, Ruthie