Monday, September 8, 2008

My Best Buddy

I'm feeling a little pensive and introspective today, so bear with me as I share some thoughts.
~ Dutchess Treasure McLeod ~
From the moment we met, four and half years ago, our hearts bonded together and we became best buddies for life. The first week she was with us, she never let me out of her sight. We had a mutual mission - to heal a broken heart and pledge undying love for one another. I think we accomplished both goals in fast order.
I've often wondered what Treasure's previous owners were like. They gave her a wonderful upbringing, as we were presented with a beautifully trained, wonderfully behaved dog. From the vet to her groomer, everyone who has had any dealings with her has commented on her sweet and cooperative temperament. I wonder how much love it took to be able to hand her over to Westie Rescue for a better life than they could give. How grateful I am for every day I've had with her. Her name says it all - she is my Treasure.
Soon I will be faced with a decision to do what's best for Treasure. Will I be able to do it? Yes, of course I will. I can do no less. But it won't be easy. Love isn't easy. Opening one's heart to love another, whether it be a human or an animal, brings with it great risk. What is it they say? "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."
We cherish every day as if it were her last. And yet, she shows no symptoms of the cancer that will take her. So we'll live each day as we usually do, only more intensely, looking for those "Treasured moments."

No comments: