Monday, September 29, 2008

Positive News

We had our appointment with Dr. Earl today and have come away with a much more positive attitude toward Treasure's future. Yes, she does have a mass in her bladder. And yes, it is inoperable. But he says it is very small and was apparently caught in an early stage. The rest of her exam showed her to be very healthy, which is a good thing as we try to stave off the cancer.
He wants to see her regularly to measure the growth through ultrasound and prescribed an additional medication that should prevent bladder infections. She'll continue the piroxicam "as tolerated" and we'll go from there. But mainly, he thinks she has many more months of good quality life before the cancer takes her. And that's good news to my ears. Beyond his medical expertise I found him to be most compassionate as well as passionate for his patients and their humans.
I must tell you that Treasure's friend, Jefferson, came to the clinic to give us all moral support, laced with a whole lot of humor. Jeffie is well known and much loved at that clinic, so he paved the way for Treasure to become a favorite too! Jeffie's mom and dad were a huge morale booster to my fragile countenance and surely helped me maintain my dignity (without breaking out into tears!). I so appreciate their "compulsive doggie affection" - makes me feel more normal!
I'll keep you posted as we start some new medication on Wednesday. Thanks for caring and for praying.

2 comments:

Lois said...

Hi, sweet Friend,

I finally navigated over to your blog and caught up on myself. It is interesting to see 'me' and my traits from your perspective. You are generous ... I do love our Jefferson, and I do truly love my friends. It is a privilege that has come with being older than I used to be.

As for Treasure, I could not see in her what your original news expected me to acknowledge. I was so excited that you were comfortable with a second opinion for her. I tried to be really low key until I actually saw the two of you sitting in Dr. Earl's clinic. I could barely contain myself. The news brings peace...

Now, on to Adrian! Yes, and many times yes. You do have a most delightful, cute and irresistible grandson. Doug came home yesterday and commented, "That Adrian is so CUTE!" So, the admiration just travels from home to home.

Hugs and celebrations!
Lois

Anonymous said...

I was glad to hear the good news about Treasure. And glad to know you found a good, caring doctor and especially that you have such a precious friend in Jeffie and his mama.

Love y'all,
Ruthie