Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"Mother please! I'd rather do it myself!"

Does anyone besides me remember the old Anacin commercials? This one was for Headache #45. "Mother please! I'd rather do it myself!" My Mother and I used to break the tension between us with that line. As I recall, we did that quite often!

Last week, after I finished the quilt top for Graham's quilt, I decided to try to find someone who would sandwich and quilt it for me, saving my back and legs the agony of working on the floor. I can't describe the feeling of dread that came over me as I envisioned that process. So I got the name of a quilter from the fabric store and inquired. She emailed back and said it would take 2-3 months for her to get to my quilt.

Sooooo. Plan A was out and I was now at Plan B. I had laid out the quilt layers on my dining room table in order to cut the back and batting and got the idea to just pin the quilt sandwich right there on the table. It took lots and lots of "smoothing" the layers, but I was able to sit in a chair and do the actual pinning and saved my back days of misery.


So here I am, doing it myself, and taking my time, although it will definitely not take 2-3 months! I hope I can get it ready for the binding by tomorrow. The colors are so vibrant. I think it will be a very pretty quilt and long enough for Graham's six foot frame.

As part of my planning for our September tour of Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, I searched the internet one night and ordered lots of free maps and travel brochures for the places we'll visit. Besides the cooler temps, we are really looking forward to some fresh Atlantic seafood. I read that the oysters in Charlottetown, PEI, are the best in the world! And we will have a down-home Lobster bake in Bar Harbor the first night out. I'm thrilled at how much free reading material I was able to pick up.

So we're at "29 days and counting" till we meet Bill at the DFW airport and fly to Boston. All the hotels will have internet service in the rooms, so I'm looking forward to posting pictures as we go. I've already primed my little red mini computer with photo folders for each day we're there!

Meanwhile, we will celebrate Adrian on his third birthday in a little over a week. Can't believe how quickly the time has flown by. But then, I'll be 65 when we come home from Canada! I guess growing older is something that I have to do for myself!

No comments: