Thursday, August 5, 2010

Connections

I am, by nature, a "loner." I prefer a quiet room to crowds, soft music to raucous, a good book to a cocktail party. Given a choice I would read, sew or watch TV in solitude, perhaps with the company of my loyal dog. But I realize there are times when I must make the effort to socialize or there will be consequences to pay.

For instance, last year my siblings-in-law and I discussed the idea of having a "family picnic" in the summer, just an excuse to see each other for an occasion other than wedding or funeral. We talked about it, but did nothing toward it and the summer passed into Fall. Then the unthinkable happened, one of Graham's brothers died suddenly in January and we all realized an opportunity missed which had sad consequences. So this summer, amidst questions of suitability and timeliness, we sent out invitations and got a large portion of family together. One lesson learned.

Then, out of the blue, about a month ago, I received a "friend" request from a woman who is a distant cousin from my mother's side of my family. Maybe she is also looking into her "connections" and felt a pull to search for family members. Whatever the motive I am so glad that she took the initiative and used the technology of social networking to find me. We have already brought each other up to date from over fifty years of separation. Wow!

And just last week I was notified of the death of my last remaining first cousin in Louisiana. He was seven years older than me, the "biggest" cousin who had all the fun, but who the rest of us looked up to as "cool." Floods of memories of summertime visits came over me, and I realized afresh how important being "connected" is. It's who we are, what we are made of, the thing that prompts our behavior.

I still prefer the peace and quiet of being left to my own devices, but I have a fresh perspective of family and friends and of how important it is to let them into my little domain on occasion. Psalm 90:10 tells me that "the days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away." I will be sixty-five in September. I can reasonably expect to live five to fifteen more years. How much better to live those years connected... to family... to friends... and to my Savior.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

What profound thoughts, thank you for sharing them. I know I am blessed having as a friend. Thank you touching my life and for continuing to be a part.
Love ya,

Barbaranne said...

I too am blessed by our family connections which have drawn closer through Facebook and led to visits here and in San Antonio. What a joy to have my daughters, and soon, my sons, get to know you better with visits and online chats. So many people deride FB as a waste of time, but it has helped me to know you and Meredith better, for which I'm grateful!