Friday, March 5, 2010

Gettin' Closer!

After a week of intensely working on a Theology curriculum, and slipping in a few minutes each day to add another border, the quilt top is finally ready for the layering stage. This is the part that just kills my back and legs because I do the laying out and pinning on the floor. I can't see any way around this step other than sending it out and paying someone else to do this part.

So this morning I armed myself with aspirin and took the plunge! With the larger quilts I can clear out a section in the bedroom upstairs and pin the back layer directly onto the berber carpet. From there the batting and top can be smoothed down and pinned with less discomfort than is experienced on the tile floor downstairs! It's just a matter of degree of pain.


Once I got the layers smoothed and straightened to my satisfaction, I closed the door behind me and took a satisfying break to play with Adrian and Andrew. We watched Adrian put all six of his puzzles together and then brought in Chick Fil-A for lunch. Once they left and I had a power nap I figured it was time to start pinning the quilt.

And look who got to the quilt first! Treasure has been my quilt-tester since the very first quilt. Which is why every finished quilt gets to go through the washing cycle before it leaves my house! That happens to be a good test to make sure every seam has been secured as well. But she must first make sure it passes the comfort test. That's our idea of "quality control".

I'll get back to pinning as soon as she wakes up from her nap. Or moves into the room with me first! More to come...

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

This is the picture I love...with Treasure testing it out!

Barb Ott said...

Just checking in to see how you're doing. And to see how Treasure is doing, too.
Barb