Monday, February 22, 2010

Step One

I finished sewing together "Block A" for the quilt today. It is amazing to me every time that one can take multiple strips of fabric, then sew them in such a way that you end up with a block that doesn't at all resemble what you started with! I guess that's part of the mystery of quilting.

My next step is to square off these blocks and then start on "Block B". I remember doing Bill's Irish Chain quilt and thinking that it will never look like the picture I was working with! Thankfully, I have a wonderfully illustrated book with step-by-step instructions. But what do you suppose our grandmothers and great-grandmothers had to help them put together their wonderful quilts? I guess instructions were handed down through quilting bees and church gatherings.

Two years ago I went to Pennsylvania with Graham and our friends, Lois and Doug White. One of my favorite stops was an Amish store located on a family farm. Fully half of the store was filled with the most heavenly quilts you can imagine. They ranged from pillows to baby quilts to king-size bedding, in an array of patterns and colors, all completely hand sewn. Yes, the prices were through the roof, but worth every penny. I'll never reach that level of expertise, but I'm sure having fun working on it!

More updates as I get to them.

No comments: