Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Latest Treasure Update

I'm a little late getting this Treasure report posted. Her appointment was on Monday, but my week thus far has been more than hectic. Yesterday, after watching Adrian for an hour or so, Graham and I drove to New Braunfels for Uncle Joe's graveside funeral service. Without being maudlin, I have to confess that I like funerals, for the simple fact that it is an event that draws family and friends together like no other. You get to catch up on all the goings-on from that "side" of the family. And it was nice to do that yesterday. Uncle Joe made arrangements for all his family who came to his funeral to enjoy a wonderful lunch together at a restaurant in Gruene, an activity that just characterized his love for family.

So today, I'm mapping out time to give you the latest on Treasure. Her tumor has advanced a little more than at any of her other checks. I kind of suspected that because she seems to have less capacity in her bladder and makes more frequent potty stops than before. She has been getting me up multiple times at night as well and I mentioned this to Dr. Earl. He was able to do a urinalysis since Treasure, for the third time, graciously tinkled on the floor in the exam room, giving them enough of a sample to test. She has another infection which Dr. Earl says will be a chronic problem for two reasons. The tumor bleeds into her bladder and serves as a breeding ground for infection and there is always some fluid left in there. So she will be taking antibiotics from now on, in addition to the Previcox.

Other than that, she is behaving much like a twelve and a half year old Westie. She still enjoys her walks and greeting other dogs out in the neighborhood. We go a little slower, make many more stops, but she relishes the time outside. I keep her confined to the utility room whenever I go out - rather like a very large crate to her! She's always sound asleep when I return. And she's eating well. I found that Petco carries the Solid Gold food that she eats to keep her allergies in tact and she likes it enough to consume the pills that are tucked inside.

My main concern presently is what to do with her when we travel. She requires a little more attention than before, especially at night. For short term, I think she'll do well at All God's Creatures, as Karen has a doggie door so she can spend time outside. But when we go to France in May for over two weeks, well, I just don't know. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Meanwhile, I have my quilt book in hand, bought the material needed for my next project, am about 2/3 completed on Andrew's birth announcement, so I guess my time is mapped out for me for a while! We haven't had the snow here that has plagued the rest of the country, but our below normal temperatures have made me feel the coming of the next Ice Age just like everyone else! Bring it on!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

sorry about treasure..next time you watch Adrian, I'll leave a stroller. He'd love to go walking with you and treasure!