Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Overdue Treasure Report

August has turned into a very busy month for us. So much so, that we even took a leave of absence from choir just to maintain our equilibrium.
Right smack in the middle of August is Adrian's birthday (on the 14th) so energies start focusing in that direction early. We kept his celebration within the family this year, hoping to minimize any "excitement trauma" to his two-year-old psyche! We all had a ball with him.

Then we had a special wedding to prepare for. Special weddings, for me, require something handmade to honor the occasion, so I carved out some stitching time to make a sampler.

On the same day as the wedding, we celebrated another member of the Wilson family with a baby shower for their first-born, and that required a specially handcrafted baby quilt.

So guess who gets left out of the loop? Me! Me! It's my birthday too!

We don't know exactly the day of Treasure's birth, just the month - August - and the year. So she gets celebrated at various times each year, according to the busyness of the month. And because of her health issues, I try to make an effort to celebrate her every day, just being thankful that she has survived the cancer for a whole year.
Reflection:
It is amazing to me that almost one year ago - August 28th to be exact - we were given the crushing news that she might live only two months with bladder cancer. I am so grateful to good friends who encouraged me to seek another vet's opinion and get some treatment started that I am convinced has preserved and extended her life. And not just life but a quality of life that she can enjoy. So here's my Treasure report:
On her good days, she eats well, gets two good walks, visits with family (including evading Adrian's advances!), and sleeps a lot.
On her bad days, she doesn't eat, gets two good walks, and sleeps a lot.
Right now she has a recurring eye problem that requires an eye wash and some drops. I can
sense that her sight is failing as well as her hearing. She is sensitive to my whereabouts in the house and naps as close to me as she can get. I'm feeling a greater urgency to stay close to her now and to postpone any extended time away from home. She will see Dr. Earl next Monday for an ultrasound and evaluation. Let's see, that's ten good walks from today!

1 comment:

Lois said...

Sweet Treasure... Jefferson and I sent you and your mom person a song via email early today. Snuggle next to her and enjoy it. You are the light of Jefferson's doggy life and a mentor extraoridinaire! We love you and your extraordinary Mom Person.