Monday, July 20, 2009

Oops!

I consider myself an "intermediate" quilter and seamstress. When I was much younger I took on more challenges in sewing. I particularly remember taking "Stretch and Sew" classes with my neighbor and making all kinds of wonderful items of clothing. After an absence of twenty or more years, those skills have subsided, but I still have a good command of the basics.

So, two years ago, in anticipation of a first grandchild, I took a beginner's quilting class. It was so much fun, for it was just challenging enough to keep me moving toward my goal, but not so hard that I couldn't finish it. From that class I have produced many quilts, some for family, others for new babies. And it's been fun.

Now that my second grandbaby is on the way, I began to look for something a little different, but still in the "intermediate" category to make for him. And I decided that pinwheels would be fun. I got the idea from an Eleanor Burns book I purchased on Amazon.com. (More about her later...)

Oops!
The first block (on the left) turned out really well and wasn't all that hard. So next day I proceeded to work on block number two. There is a rule in sewing that I have a tendency to break - "Don't get cocky!" I start to think I have mastered something and then rush through some of the steps. Well, that's what I did on block #2. Look at the picture. The pinwheel on the right is moving in the wrong direction! aarrrggghhhh!

See? Block number 3 is perfect! Pinwheel is blowing in sync with Number 1. That's how it's supposed to be! Rule number two in quilting: "Always buy a little bit more material than you think you need." That's because I usually break rule number 1. So, instead of tediously ripping out the seams in block #2, I have extra material for block number 5!

This time I will be extra careful, slow down, and follow the easy instructions, making sure that pinwheel blows with the others. This is no time to get cocky.

Now, about Eleanor Burns. My quilting class was based on an easy quilt from her instruction booklet. She calls her lessons "Quilt in a Day" and there are lots and lots of patterns, from easy beginners to much more elaborate quilts than I'll ever make. I love her instructions. She has mastered shortcuts and made them very easy to follow (usually).

See? She even has pictures to follow beside her instructions!
I'm nearly done with the blocks - just one more to go. Then we'll see how to put them all together in a baby-sized quilt. Check back in a few days for updates!
About that backward pinwheel... it just may turn into a hotpad!

No comments: