Friday, July 10, 2009

Chunky Books

Last spring I made a wonderful discovery and purchase. We were in Ft. Worth at Southwestern Baptist Seminary for a Grace Conference. I took off at lunch time and walked across to the Lifeway bookstore to look for something for Adrian. What I found were two little "board" books, one about Jonah and the Whale and the other about David and the Giant. When I returned home and showed them to Adrian he was sort of "lukewarm" about them. So I just put them with his other books and waited for his interest to peak.

Then Graham discovered them and began to read to Adrian. That's when we discovered these little windows on each page.

There's a little "slot" just big enough for little fingers to open the window.

And Papa-Ludee can really tell a good story when those windows are opened up... with sound effects and rocking motions!
After the success of Jonah and David, I went to the Lifeway store here, but I couldn't find them. So I went to my next-best bookstore, Amazon.com, and hit the jackpot. When new, these chunky books list for $3.99. That's a bargain for all the hours of enjoyment we get from them. But did you know that some sellers on Amazon actually list them for $35.00 and more? I couldn't believe it! I went for the $3.99 ones and bought three more for our library.

In addition to the Bible stories, which are all authored by Mary Josephs, the chunky books also come with farm animals, cars, trucks and such. Any of these would be perfect for curious toddlers such as Adrian.
Here is the info if you should ever want to invest in them. And Amazon.com is the way to go!

Meredith has a family pass to the San Antonio Zoo and this book has all the animals Adrian will see when they take him to the zoo. It's a great way to learn and have some quality story time with his grandpa!

No comments: