Saturday, October 11, 2008

Walk Down Memory Lane

I've been looking through boxes of old photos of the kids growing up and I guess that has made Graham nostalgic. So this morning he wanted to go eat breakfast at the Guenther House at the Pioneer Flour Mill, which is just across the street from the house where he grew up.
So after a nice breakfast we set out for a walk down memory lane, or more accurately, Guenther Street. This is the house where he spent his high school years and college summers. It's a magnificent, historical home, three stories and a basement, built back at the turn of the century - maybe even before that.

His parents lived there when we married and we spent several nights in it before moving to San Antonio ourselves. I remember stories about the "Wilson ghost" who would turn the lights off and on in the dining room! And the "tales from the crypt, er, basement" were all about the antics of four kids living on the lowest floor of the house. What fun it must have been, listening in on ghost stories and other scary happenings!
The house was up for sale about a year ago. We picked up a flyer, just to see what changes had been made and how much the asking price was. Would you believe just under a million dollars!?! Graham's daddy bought it back in the early 1950's for around $25,000! This is an indication of the neighborhood renewal movement in downtown San Antonio. Lots and lots of houses in this area are being bought and restored and increasing the value of the area.

The house looks pretty much the same on the outside. The porch has been reconstructed a bit and a large concrete step was removed from the front of the porch. Most of the upgrade has been done inside, especially in the kitchen. And a nice deck was added at the back of the house. Right where Graham's elbow is where the concrete steps were. I know there is a picture in one of those boxes of all the grandchildren sitting on those steps. If I find it I'll scan and post it here.

Needless to say, this home has been designated as "historical" by the San Antonio Conservation Society. Graham's mother was active in that club for many years. She would be happy to know that her efforts were rewarded. You can see the placque right there on the porch rail.

So, I guess these memory walks are good to take every so often. I know when I go back to Wichita Falls I love to drive down Speedway where I grew up, or over on Taft where I went to grade school. Sometimes I like to trace the route between Zundy and the old high school and smell the bread baking at the little bakery on the way. And then I'll check Montego and see if the new owners have made any changes to Mother and Dad's house. It's just in our nature to go back and remember.
I'm studying the Psalms of Ascent in my ladies' Bible study and learning the importance of remembering our past, but also remember where our help comes from, who holds our present and our future. And that's a very comforting thought in these days of uncertainty.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

I know I have an old black and white picture of just the house somewhere...but I remember the cousins pictures too. I want to go to the Guenther House with y'all sometime:)

avalarue said...

OK, but don't get the pancakes!

Anonymous said...

That is one of my most favorite breakfast place or even lunch place. A trip down memory lane is always fun. Glad you had a great morning. Texas Tech by the way just won in overtime. What an afternoon....

Anonymous said...

If you went to the same grade
school that I did (Ben Franklin),
the school is on Speedway. The
street makes a turn and crosses
Taft before you get to the school.

Your Brother

Anonymous said...

Hey, Good morning from DC :(:(
Would you please give me more info about your Bible Study. You always find some of the neatest Bible Studies.

Hey, Treasure, how are you feeling?
Take care of Mama.
Love,
Ruthie