Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cousins and Stairs

Okay, I finally found the picture I had been looking for, showing the front porch steps of the house on Guenther Street. Judging by the looks of my kids I would date this around 1979 or 1980. Three families represented here are grand- and great-grandchildren of Joe McAuliffe (as well as two of his children).
Anyway, I brought out the picture to show that there had been steps up to the porch and I believe there was (is?) a door leading into the dining room from the porch. It certainly made a great backdrop for a bunch of cousins!

Here you can see where the steps were removed and railing extended all around the porch.


Here is another picture from that same day of the cousins sitting on the steps inside the house. This is just a glimpse of the workmanship that was involved in this house. These stairs, of course, wound up three floors to the top level, and behind this landing were the steps leading to the basement. If walls could talk... well, you know the saying! Some time I must get the siblings to share their tales and record them for the next generations.

No comments: