Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Little Town of Leavenworth, Washington

I'll start today's commentary as we set out from Seattle across the state of Washington. Mountains and trees! Don't see too much of them in Texas, so I reserve the right to be impressed. Our Tour Director gave us an ample number of stops on today's 330 mile ride. There are lots of parklike rest stops and here we are at one of them.


Around noon we pulled into this little Bavarian Village, a town called Leavenworth. After the gold rush was over this became pretty much a ghost town. So several years ago the citizens got together and did a "makeover" into a tourist attraction with lots of shops, restaurants, a park and pavillion. It's still very much under construction and lots of fun strolling the streets.


As you can see, it stretches for about 6 blocks down and maybe 4 blocks in. There was a large outdoor art show going on with booths of paintings, photography, jewelry, wood carvings, etc. Graham grabbed a bowl of soup in one restaurant, Bill and I opted for an ice cream cone and lots of walking!

You know me, ever on "Westie watch" when I travel and I really hit the jackpot here! This happy fella was one of three doggies I spied. He was ready to jump into my arms! Had a very congenial owner too.

This one caught my eye because it's a sight I've never seen before. I first saw the dog in the back seat of a Jeep. Next thing I knew, he was out cycling with his owner! I've never had a Westie who could keep up with a bike!


As we walked the streets, Bill and I heard the sounds of an "oompah" band. So we meandered toward the center of town and this pavillion to find what appears to be a family of musicians and lots of folks sitting on grandstands or picnicing on the meadow beside the pavillion. This is where we found Graham, who had already purchased a CD of their music!


All too soon it was time to get back to the bus. As we made our way we passed by this lovely building and, lo and behold, it's a Starbuck's Coffee shop! That was expected in Seattle, and we'll see them a lot on this trip, but none in such a pretty setting as this!

That's going to do it for now. I'm still poring over the hundreds of photos, just from my camera. Still have to look through Graham's, sort out the duplicates, delete the out-of-focus ones, and then look for Bill's to arrive in the mail! I'll get another batch out soon. Enjoy!

No comments: