Sunday, August 28, 2011

More Quilt Fun

I think I must get the "quilting bug" in spurts. So many circumstances have caused me to stay home and inside this summer that I have resorted to the sewing machine for entertainment. And the bug is with me still - probably won't go away until the temperature cools down! Anyway, I have discovered the convenience of ordering fabric on the internet, whether it be from a store's website or on Ebay. I have gotten hooked on using pre-cuts and have a great source online for tutorials. This one is from a grouping of fabric called "Prayer Flag" by Moda.


The quilt pattern is called "Jelly Charm" and it uses one Jelly Roll and one Charm Pack. I am making this quilt a little larger than lap quilt size, but smaller than a twin. The basic pattern measures six squares by five. I love the variety of mixing all the patterns and colors of fabric.


On the tutorial the instructor did what she called a "piano key" border. She took all the remnants of the jelly strips and sewed them together, then cut them into strips of colorful "keys." I sandwiched that strip between two whites to give it a matted appearance.



Here is the quilt with that part of the border done. My next step is to add another five inch border in a teal floral fabric. You can see that one in the piano key border, right next to the coral paisley. Once I finish all the borders and get a good "feel" for the whole quilt, I'll have to choose something for the back. I'm limited in what I can find online, but the choices are there. Once that's done I'll run it up to Kingsland to be quilted.


I can't finish this post without adding a picture of my sweet Savannah. As much as she loves being outdoors, today she came right back in after doing her "business." It's too darn hot! She's happy to just be inside where I am, usually taking a little snooze at my feet. What a sweetheart!


1 comment:

tolepainter12 said...

very nice, I am going to try and do some quiling of my own using these kinds of cuts with my cricut