Monday, August 15, 2011

Quilting Fun

Several weeks ago I discovered a couple of wonderful websites that feature videos of quilting techniques. I purchased a couple sets of lessons that I can access whenever I need them and have picked up quite a few pointers. The Missouri Quilt Shop specializes in pre-cuts - fabric lines that cut to size multiple complimentary designs and sell them in packages. Their teacher then demonstrates how to use these pre-cuts in quilts, often resulting in wonderful shortcuts to the older methods. 

I jumped on the bandwagon to try my hand at one of the easier quilts. This one is called "X's and O's". I love that it looks like it might be really difficult to construct when, in reality, using the pre-cuts and MQS's methods, I was able to put it together quickly and easily. This photo is of the top only. When finished it will be the size of a lap quilt.


Because I was picking my colors in a specific fashion, I ended up having to use three "Charm Pack" pre-cuts. And I had a whole lot of "charms" left over. So I looked through my video lessons and found another really easy pattern that would use up my leftover charms. This one is much smaller and has a very Christmasy feel about it. It might make a really festive table cover  this Christmas.


Because these pre-cuts all come from a particular "line" of fabric, I was able to look on Ebay and order yardage in specific designs to use for my borders and backing. I love the fact that I can find what I need online and either order it cut to specification or, in one case, find it at a local shop.

I have a friend who is brand new to quilting who was referred to a shop in Kingsland Texas to get her quilt "quilted." The lady was both very good and very reasonable in price, so I have contacted her to do both of these quilts for me. We have a day trip coming up this week! My Daddy lived in Kingsland briefly in the '80's when he was constructing a home at Deer Haven. We spent many weekends during that time and will enjoy driving through town once again.


My next pre-cut project will involve the Charm Pack squares and a Jelly Roll! The industry has given delectable names to these pre-cuts. There are also Layer Cakes and Honey Buns! The Jelly Roll has 42 strips, 2 1/2 inches wide, of color coordinated fabric. When I made Graham's quilt I used a Jelly Roll, but I had no idea how cute and convenient the pre-cuts would be. Here is a link to the Missouri Star Quilt Company if you have any interest in the fabric or the video tutorials.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

wow those are both beautiful and I'd be happy to borrow the table quilt for a Christmas tablescape:):):)