Friday, March 23, 2012

Happy Birthday, Savannah!

It seems as though I have been in a writer's fog for a few months. I know I haven't written anything here since Christmas. Whether it was a writer's block or I just had nothing to say, I'll never tell. And besides, Spring is officially here and today is Savannah's Special Day. We adopted her a year ago today from Westie Rescue in Houston. Because she was picked up as a stray, her actual birthday is unknown as is her exact age. She was estimated to be around three when we got her, so I am declaring today her fourth birthday! Let's celebrate!



She saw Dr. Earl yesterday for her annual checkup and he pronounced her "healthy" and "very athletic!" The squirrels in the backyard will attest to the athletic part. I put two squirrel corn feeders on the fence posts and now Savannah sits behind the bushes back there and waits for her chance to pounce and bark and scare the little squirrelies half to death!


Since she already has lots of toys, I found this "Create a Collar" at Petco for her. It's red and matches her new rabies tag! You can buy little charms that slip onto the top of the collar. These are two little flowers and a butterfly. There are several other options, including some pretty fancy bling, to choose from. But Westies being who they are, bling would be wasted. So we'll stick to the outdoors theme.

Dr. Earl was asking how she has adapted to our home over the past year. I guess the most obvious adjustment has been how she has settled into our routine. She was very hyper at first. That may have been due to all the changes she had experienced prior to coming here. And I think she took her time to decide whether she actually liked it here or not! At any rate, she is much calmer, more obedient (as long as I ask her to do what she wants to do!), and much more affectionate. If she has to stay inside (as opposed to stalking the squirrels out back), she will stay up near my sewing machine and watch me sew.



Bear in mind that this is a very dirty Westie who's sitting by my sewing machine! I have to place the binding machine between the dirty dog and what I am working on, so she uses that as a place to hold her head while she snoozes! What a character! She has since had a bath and is due for a hair cut next week. And I must remember to tell the attendant "No bows!" when I leave her.

So happy birthday, Miss Savannah. You have become a most welcome addition to the family!

No comments: