Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bluebonnets in the Hill country

I had a quilt to pick up today. And the timing was nearly perfect. You see, the lady who quilts my quilts for me has her shop in Kingsland, in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. And because of the abundance of rain we have enjoyed this winter, the wildflowers are popping out in all their glory right now. I was thrilled that the call came this week so that Graham and I could take the "scenic" route and enjoy the flowers on the way.



From the pictures I have seen from areas around Fredericksburg, these patches are not nearly as glorious, though we relished every bloom and hue. The skies were overcast, even sprinkling some rain here and there as we drove. Even that was not enough to dampen God's beauty as we made our way to Kingsland.


The back road was relatively deserted. I think we were passed by only four cars. A pity, though, that they were in too big a hurry to slow down and enjoy the art show. In addition to the bluebonnets, there were splashes of red, yellow and white thrown into the mix.


What I was looking for didn't materialize, though. My eyes were searching for "pastures" of blue, but the closest we came to that were these wide areas between the road and the fence lines. Still, it was a lovely sight to behold.


I wish I could identify all the different wildflowers, and in fact, I intend to get a guide that will help me to do just that.


 I had an online purchase that needed to be returned to an Ace Hardware store. While we were in Kingsland, we checked out the Ace store there and found it to be a very charming, albeit hardware place. It was spacious and inviting and while we were inside returning my purchase, the rain came down hard, compelling us to look around the store. We made a note to come back to this store when the next quilt is ready to be picked up!


After lunch at a great seafood restaurant in Marble Falls, we began our drive back home, taking the shorter route on Hwy 281. As we neared Bulverde, the highway separated and the median was celebrating spring with more flowers!


Just to prove that not all beauty is blue, this patch of brilliant yellow appeared for our viewing pleasure. And we were filled again with the goodness of God, who has once again painted our world with His paintbrush.


Next week we want to drive over to Fredericksburg and look for those pastures of bluebonnets. And if I find them, rest assured that they'll be shared here with all who care to see.