Friday, October 14, 2011

Starting Out in Moscow

We landed in Moscow on a Friday afternoon, tiredness setting in from little or no sleep on the plane, and a nasty sinus/cold thing brewing in my head. By the time we reached the ship it was after 8 p.m. and we were ushered quickly to the dining room for a late dinner. The greeting was a musical, colorful, noisily happy welcome from members of the crew who were to be our family for the next fourteen days. The landing was hard, but the promise of adventure was stronger. Tomorrow we would hit the ground running. There was much to see in Moscow!


This picture of St. Basil's in Red Square is probably the most recognized icon of all Russia. It really is breathtaking and we were able to get up close and personal with it. In the off-season the crowds are dwindling, so we weren't rushed or pushed around.


Our travel companions, Pat Wilson and Lois and Doug White, were just as awestruck as we, hungrily taking in every detail of color and structure. We couldn't take enough pictures as we captured every angle of every building. And yes, there are that many onion domes in Moscow!

 Yes, we all did the goofy tourist thing, standing beside the gorgeous buildings and having our picture taken for posterity, or maybe just proof that we really were there!

This is one of many red brick buildings, mostly government offices, that make Red Square the beautiful place it is.



I turn into a sour puss when Graham insists on pointing a camera at me. I love seeing everyone else in my pictures, just not me.

It's also very cold and windy on this day, and I am realizing to my sorrow that I did not prepare well when packing my "winter" clothes. I left my nice warm, flannel lined jacket in the closet at home, choosing instead this lightweight one. My first purchase on the ship, later in the day, will be a fleece vest that zips all the way up my neck!


Because of the cold and wind, and my unfortunate choice of clothing, in just a few hours I began experiencing that old familiar pain behind my heart. The more I walked, the more pronounced it became. And when we walked into the Metro station and the stuffiness of the large room, it was apparent that I couldn't continue with the group. Our wonderful Program Director situated us with a taxi and directions back to the ship where I was able to sleep off some cold medicine and catch up on much needed sleep.


After dinner, Graham, Pat, Lois and Doug took the optional "Moscow at Sunset" tour and were dazzled by the light show that illuminated the now familiar buildings. Night photography being what it is, not many of his photos were good, but this is surely representative of Moscow in the evening.

The next day was one that I could enjoy staying on the ship while my companions took off for more sightseeing of Moscow, including a visit to the New Maiden Cemetery where large and realistic statues memorialized the deceased residents. In the afternoon two Russian veterans of World War II came to talk to our passengers about their experiences in the war. It was a good time to explore the Tihki Don and become acquainted with my temporary home. Just down the hall from our cabin were my two favorite places - the Library with two internet enabled computers, and the most lovely on board gift shop. Lois and I would soon become fast friends with the sales girls!

 Our final full day in Moscow included visits to the Kremlin and the Armory. The word "kremlin" simply means "fortress;" thus, the Russian Kremlin is a walled area which surrounds palaces and cathedrals. The official residence and workplace of the Russian President is within its walls.
The Assumption Cathedral (left) was the site for the coronation of the Russian tsars.


Red buildings and red brick walls surround the Kremlin, where security is very tight and tourists have access to only a small portion of the area.
By this day we are much smarter in our choices of winter wear and we are all wearing many layers of warmth to protect us from the cold! The temperatures remained between 45 and 55 degrees the entire two weeks we were there.


In the evening we were blessed to hear a concert of acapella singers, the Zlatoust Singers. Their sound was magnificent and the costumes in the second half became an inspiration for a Russian quilt.
Our ship will depart Moscow at noon the next day and begin our cruise on the Moscow Canal, the Volga River, Lake Onega, the Svir River, Lake Ladoga, and finally the Neva River. Stay tuned for some of the most beautiful countryside you'd ever imagine seeing in this giant country of Russia.

No comments: