Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Unraveling the Mystery

I got word yesterday from the allergist that the tests for pepper allergy all came back negative. So, no allergies to peppers, just sensitivity to them. It's nice to know that an accidental pepper won't close up my airway!

After another episode last week, we finally convinced the gastroenterologist to run some tests for a parasite or an infection. I will find out tomorrow what the results are. This would be the easy answer, because there's a medication I can take that will kill that bug.

Meanwhile, I felt well enough yesterday and today to do some Christmas baking. I poked around on Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen site and found several cookie recipes that look wonderful. And PW had an interesting recipe for Fruitcake Cookies that I copied and adapted to my taste. Here's what I have accomplished:

This is my adaptation of the fruitcake cookie. I made them in small and smaller cupcake papers to closely resemble one of my favorite Christmas finds - Little Puds. PW's recipe called for brandy as the liquid in the recipe, but I substituted Apple juice, just in case my grandson takes a liking to this cookie. They are so moist and fruity. You can check Pioneer Woman's website for the original recipe.

The recipe made 24 tiny cupcakes and 18 small ones. I put a little powdered sugar glaze (mixed with apple juice) on these to make them prettier.

This is a recipe for thumbprint cookies that I got from Tasty Kitchen. The cookie is an easy shortbread, filled with your favorite jam. Because it's impossible for me to choose, I used three different jams. Can't wait to try one of these. I still have a few more recipes I want to try. I think the mailperson (ours is a gal) will be very happy this December!

No comments: