Friday, December 10, 2010

Tasty Christmas Cookies

Every December I look for new and different Christmas cookies to try. Some are winners, most leave something to be desired! This week I have tried out three new recipes (all from Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen) and two out of the three are definitely keepers!


The cookies on the left side of the plate are called "Amy's Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies." The great thing about this cookie is that you are almost guaranteed to have all the ingredients in your pantry. The shortbread cookie is made from butter, sugar, flour and almond or vanilla extract. Any jam you have around works, and the glaze is just powdered sugar and water (or milk.) The recipe can be found here. I hate having to pick just one flavor of jam, so I used the three I had in my refrigerator and mixed them up!

The cookie on the other side of the plate is called "Oatmeal Cranberry Chocolate Spice Cookie" and it is really yummy. It takes just a little longer to prepare, and you will have most of the ingredients in your pantry. I had to make a grocery run to get the oats, cranberries and chocolate chips, but as long as you have eggs and shortening, the rest are staples. These may look like your every day oatmeal/chocolate chip cookie, but you'll be pleasantly surprised from the taste of the allspice and cinnamon. The recipe for this wonderful cookie is found here. The recommendation is for very large cookies. I made mine the regular size and got four dozen minus one from the batch. I also baked mine for a full 14 minutes. I made no substitutions, but this cookie would work well with a variety of fruits or nuts. Have fun with it!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

you need to link this to my blog:)