Saturday, January 30, 2010

What to do Next?

As soon as I finished Andrew's quilt, I picked up a quilt top that I had decided not to complete and made some changes to the corners, added an adorable backing, and finished it to give to my sweet hairdresser who is having a baby girl in April. It was originally intended for a baby boy, but it works so much better for a girl. This particular quilt pattern has been quite successful in giving as shower gifts. It's small enough to finish in less than a week - fits nicely in the Pack 'n Play that many new mommies use these days.

So now that I'm finished, I'm wondering what will be my next quilt project! I'm still working on the cross stitch birth announcement for Andrew. But that is one activity that has to come in 30 minute spurts. I just can't sit and stitch for a longer length of time.

I'm considering another Irish Chain quilt. I made a Double Irish Chain for Bill two Christmases ago and, though the borders were very challenging, the quilt itself was fun to make. I'd like to do one in vibrant, bold colors. I love the very first quilt I made in my quilting class. It's a "lap quilt" size and is perfect for napping or, as the last several nights have been very cold, layering on top of my bedspread.

If this is the direction I'm heading, then a trip to the fabric store is in order pretty soon! There are a couple (probably more than that) of specialty quilters shops in town that have a mind-blowing, fantastic array of fabric. Almost too much to absorb. I just have to walk around the fabric tables, muse over every bolt, walk around three or four more times, and then try to get my thoughts organized! I read in one of my books that it's best to start a quilt with just one "inspiration" piece and then bring in the rest of the fabric to compliment the first. So I guess I just need to get out there and get inspired!

Okay. I'm off!

2 comments:

Ruth in Laredo said...

can I go? can I? can I? I want to learn from the best!!! Oh how I would love to come up and spend a weekend quilting with you. So much fun! Have fun looking and planning. Glad you are getting back in the swing of things.

Praying for you and your family as you adjust to Richard's homegoing. But enjoy all the wonderful memories you have, what a blessing.

Barbaranne said...

My favorite color is red, Auntie Dear...

tee hee...